Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pretty Fall Things

Since school is starting on Tuesday, and I am utterly miserable, I've decided to look at the bright side of the situation: the clothes I will soon be rocking upon ending my summer hiatus from the realm of style. So here are a few things I am looking forward to for the coming months.

1. Cloches. Yeah, so these are pretty much all the rage for fall, and maybe they're already so far in that they're out. I don't care, I love them and I have one. It is a black felt Liz Claiborne (RIP) thing with a bow and a little brim on the front. Sadly, it will still be a couple months until it is cool enough out to wear it. Until then, I will just admire these pictures for inspiration:


2. Old Navy. Although their summery stuff is definitely more on the hit-or-miss end of the spectrum, I can always count on Old Navy to deliver the goods when it comes to winter.

This tweed jumper would be perfect over a solid color tee, although you might need to employ some of your higher heels and a pair of textured tights to make it look a little less grade school. $29.50.

Ruffly scoop-neck tee in a highly rockable shade of purple. I think it would look excellent with some wide legged jeans and black patent kicks. $10.

3. Sweater dresses. These are my winter equivalent of the summer jersey dress. For those days when I just can't be bothered to make an effort, I have a stockpile of sweater dresses that I can pull on with my trusty red Chuck Taylors, a headband, and a long sleeve tee on top so that I end up looking reasonably put-together (read: not homeless).

J. Crew is like sweater dress headquarters. Unfortunately, since their prices have been inflating to private-school-kid standards, I can't shop there very much. But I can still look, right? From top: $175, $118, $160 (Gak!).

Yeah, so that's all I got for now. I was going to wax enthusiastic about flannel, but before I can do that I need to put up pictures of the schoolbag I made (It is yellow and gray flannel with a Nintendo 64 patch and a patch I got in Amsterdam. It's awesome, if I do say so myself, which I do). So I'll do that... sometime? I know all of you utterly devoted fans are just dying to see what I'll be hauling around my French textbook in this year, I know. I can see it in your eyes.

Maddy

11 comments:

Isabel said...

I have no idea why J. Crew is so expensive nowadays. Sure it's nice stuff, but there is no way that sweater dress is worth more than $100! It might be worth $50 on a good day, but never $100!

Anonymous said...

I *love* cloches. I've had a few favorited on Etsy a couple of times but they keep selling out.

That purple Old Navy top is the best color.

mushroommeadows said...

The sweater dresses are lovely!!! Too bad they're so pricey.

And yes, I really, really, really want to see your bag!

WendyB said...

That's a first for me..I actually love that Old Navy top.

Carissa Duhamel said...

Viva les sweaterdresses! May they never die.

Joy said...

Love that jumper from Old Navy! I bet it would look great with your cloche, too.

Susana Rodrigues said...

great sweaterdresses, I just bought a new one from H&M :)
luv
Su

Bella said...

Best part of school....the clothes :)...all of this stuff is adorable btw...

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Love the purple top with the ruffles it's so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Old Navy is fanatastical. They have fair-isle sweaters that are so Scottish-cool-aspirational (yes,it's a word) they nearly make me cry.

Unknown said...

Nice sweater dresses..I love that purple colour top very much..it looks fabulous.Good post.